Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Swedish James Frey Scandal

I can't help but write about this although it might not have much to do with the U.S. but it has at least a remote connection. Liza Marklund is a very well known journalist and author in Sweden, with many bestselling crime novels and several non-fiction books. Or should I say, are they non fiction or not?

Liza Marklund wrote several books about a woman in Sweden who got married to an immigrant from a middle eastern country. In the book she describe from the woman's perspective. The marriage goes bad when the woman gets beaten and abused by the husband. Liza tells the story about how the woman has to seek protection and eventually goes underground. After several years on the run in Sweden she has to flee to Chile with her new husband and eventually they settle in the U.S.A. as the first family ever to be admitted to the U.S. because of domestic abuse in here homeland. I.e a sort of parole in to the good old U.S.

The problem is that blogger' s and a certain journalist in Sweden by the name Monica Antonsson wrote a book last year pointing out that a lot of stuff in Liza Marklund's book was fake or altered to the point of becoming fiction. The book label sold the book as a true story. Liza says that it was a mistake, the book should be read as a partly true. It gets murky from there.

I have to say that if it's true what Monica Antonsson writes then I am utterly disappointed in Liza Marklund. I have to say that I didn't like her crime novels very much and her politics were never my cup of tea. I did however respect her as a media person an an opinion maker of rank in Sweden. I don't want to judge and be biased against her but let's hope Monica Antonsson is wrong but the way it looks I highly doubt it.

Not much fishing going on with the temps in the single digits overnight. I have tied some wooly buggers lately and I'm soon going to do some soft hackle "Spiders". If I can get off the internet that is.