Monday, January 12, 2009

Another Swedish TV series and a book

I began watching another Swedish TV series "Mäklarna" It's starring the great Kjell Bergqvist who is so expressive in his whole being. No one can show emotions, feelings, and general despair as good as Kjell. I have loved him ever since I saw the great "Den Bästa Sommaren" in 1999. Mäklarna is a crazy comedy type of deal directed by Ulf Malmros, who directed "Smala Sussie" among other films. Smala Sussie is actually availalbe in the U.S. as an import if anyone is interested.

Mäklarna is kind of related to the American TV series"The Office" in the way it presents the story. In this show, we are in the world of real estate instead of the newspaper business. It begins in earnest, when Kjell loses his job, his wife, and his mom, all in the same day. He seeks help from an old real estate friend and soon after the friend dies. In the meantime, Kjell gets involved in a deal to help the friend with his daughter who also works in the real estate firm. The problem: She can't do anything right and our misfit Kjell has to take charge. Obviously this is not going to be easy. I don't want to write a review since I don't do reviews but let me say this: If you like bizarre crazy comedies you will love this. I doubt it's available in the U.S. though but if you are ever in Sweden or if someone makes a trip over there. Be on the lookout for it.

As for reading. I am currently reading the first book in the "Ann Lindell" series by Kjell Eriksson. It was published in 1999. I don't understand why his American label, published "The Princess of Burundi" first since it is actually in the middle of the series. I have noticed that a lot of translated work is not put out in chronolgical order. This is irritating to say the least. The first book is called "Den Upplysta Stigen" Which means; The shining path. Yes it is in reference to the Peruvian rebel group . It will probably be translated eventually into English. I have read about halfway through it and so far so good.

That's about it. Next weekend will be a very busy one. I have to take my truck to the shop for new tires and new spark plugs. I am also going to shampoo our carpet in the house as well as clean the entire house. Phew! I'm tired just writing about it. Until later.......