Saturday, August 1, 2009

Sand Cave KY, Cumberland Gap National Historical Park

This cave is huge, I took this picture from the interior looking down on some other hikers. It's at least two hundred yards.


What a treat! This hike is very strenuous but it's worth every step. I got to the Ewing, VA trail head at about 11:30 am this morning. I rigged up and soon got on the trail. This trail goes basically straight up the mountain for about three miles. There are a few switchbacks along the trail but you will begin to feel your heart pumping after about a mile or so. I ran in to some horseback riders and all of a sudden a German Shepherd appeared out of nowhere. I thought it belonged to them but they said it had followed them for a while. Apparently someone dropped this dog off. It was very sad. The dog was starving and lonesome. It was very friendly and it was apparent it had belonged to someone. I wish I could take it but I don't have the resources. It followed me and several other people on different spots on the trail.

I got to the Sand Cave after about an hour and forty five minutes. What a nice place. It is cool and a lot bigger than I thought. A couple was sitting inside the cave when I showed up. I spoke to them briefly while I ate my lunch. I decided to visit the White Cliffs over look on my way out. It is a very steep climb out to the over looks but a must do on this hike. I was very impressed with this hike and the fact that it is less crowded than the Great Smoky Mountain National Park and the litter situation is not as bad. All in all a very impressive hike but not for the faint of heart.

I spoke with a volunteer for the park service on my way down, hopefully they can catch the dog. The problem though, with all the unwanted animals in shelters the prognosis for the dog is not good. I wish I could have taken the dog home. It kind of bothers me that people can be so heartless. I understand that it's not easy to take care of a dog in these times, but to leave it at a trail in a wilderness to fend for itself!
The homeless German Shepherd on the trail.

The water fall coming from the top of Sand Cave.


Interior of Sand Cave.

The White Rocks.


View from top off White Rocks Elevation 3513ft or 1071 meters. The valley is Poor Valley, VA.