Saturday, July 31, 2010

Your Republic is Calling You by Young-Ha Kim


I just finished this Korean authors spy novel. Well spy novel might not be exact. It is more a study of a mans change as he move from reclusive North Korea to the south. It is not a move by choice as he is forced in to the spy business. He is sent by the North to be planted in to the south Korean society. We never get the feel for why this happened nor do we get a real sense of the outcome. It could have been a real good story as the set up is real entertaining but halfway through the book I found myself wanting the darned thing to end. I can't recommend this book unless you have absolutely nothing better to do. The graphic sexual references are also somewhat of a turn off. I'm not a prude normally, but they don't add anything to the book and feel like they are included just for their shock value. 2 out of 5 stars.