Monday, July 5, 2010

Day Trip to S. Holston and a mountain stream

Took off early on Saturday, got to South Holston right at 6:30 am. I shared the river with a dozen or so anglers. It didn't feel too crowded considering it was a holiday weekend. I immediately caught a small stocker bow on a BH Pheasant Tail Nymph size 14. Immediately I thought, this will be an easy day. It's funny how a fish on your first cast can mean slow the rest of the day. That's what happened. I had to fight hard the rest of the morning. I fished until 10 am and only managed to reel in five fish. Four were bows and one foul hooked brown. It was frustrating to say the least. The morning was cool and pleasant though. No real surface activity and I can only hope that the sulphur fishing in the afternoon was better.

I decided to take a break when the pulse came through and headed up to a mountain stream. This stream is a high quality fishery but it was very low today. We really need some good rain. I caught one small brown and lost several. My heart wasn't really in it today. I fished for a couple of hours before I decided to head back home to Knoxville. It was very pleasant in the higher elevations and it was nice to escape the heat down below. Got home and ended up with a severe sinus headache. Didn't do much on Sunday and even less today. We managed to cook some food on the grill and just chilled. Back to work tomorrow.