Saturday, July 31, 2010

Hiwassee yet again.

I have made a decision to spend some time on the Hiwassee this year. This was my fourth trip this year I think. Water temp are still fine. I got 64 in the morning at the stair steps and it was 68 at noon when the water came up. The best fishing is of course between first daylight and about 10 am or so. I saw sporadic Yellow Sallies and some tan caddis. No real action on top but very good fishing under the surface. I caught 14 and lost many more. All very good sized fish for wade fishing on the Hiwassee. I caught several rainbows in the 12" range and one brown of 12". Very colorful and hard fighting. They all took either the BH Pheasant Tail or an Olive Soft Hackle size 14. Very nice to see the river produce like that. Only one dink today, a small brown.