Monday, June 7, 2010

Three Swedish Books I've Recently Read

Finska Vinterkriget (The Winter War) by Robert Edwards is an historical account of the events taking place during the finnish winter war with Russia. The book is very detailed and I'm sure it's fine if you are into troop movements and minute details. As for general interest groups it becomes a somewhat intimidating and dry read. I'll give it a 3 out of 5.

Monica Antonssons book about Mia Eriksson who received asylum in the U.S.A. due to domestic abuse in her home country of Sweden. This book questions the whole story we have been fed from Liza Marklund and Mia Eriksson. I have to say, regardless who is right, Monica's book is a good read and somehow make you wonder what you can believe in nowadays. I have previously stated that I think Liza Marklund and Mia Eriksson did a James Frey. The book is recommended and I give it a 4 out of 5.

Maria Eriksson wrote a follow up about her daughter Emma. The book is credited to Maria but supposedly tells the story from the perspective of her daughter Emma who was the child Mia had with the man she accuses of all the horrible acts done to her. I have to say the book is poorly written and almost feels like a diary. It is badly edited and it shows that without Liza and her team behind her she can't write. The book is not recommended and I give it a 1 out of 5.