Sunday, June 6, 2010

Bear jam, Turkey jam, Deer jam and don't you know it fishing jam

I did the insane today. After stopping for lunch and a chat with Byron, Paula and the crew at Little River Outfitters in Townsend, Tn I headed for Cades Cove and Abrams Creek. I wasn't even two hundred yards before this imbecile in front of me decided to just sit there and look at a turkey. Don't get me wrong, I know the national park is for everyone, but dude there's a pullout hundred yards in front of you and a sing which politely ask you to not block the road. After I honked my horn they moved on and another mile in I was greeted by a bear jam. Then another mile or so after that a deer jam. You would think I had enough of jam by now but when I finally got on the stream I ran in to no less than six other fishermen/women. By now I should been all bummed out. No, I've learned in my old days that if you do a little bit of hiking you bypass all these easy going fishing people. So I pressed on up on the stream. I found my spot and started nymphing with a BH Tellico. I picked up seven rainbows on this trip. I lost a couple that might have been 10" but the ones I caught were short but fat. The water temp was a little warm, 66 degrees at 4 pm. A rain shower came through and when I quit fishing at 8 pm the water temp was down to 60. I drove out of the cove in a more reasonable time than going in, but remember, If you do this trip have patience because I almost lost it on this one. People who visit the cove are really not bad people. The problem is that 60-70% of the visitors have no regards for time or the concept that I have seen enough of turkeys to sit on the road and stare at them.