Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Män Som Hatar Kvinnor)

My wife is a fan of Stieg Larsson and his "millennium trilogy. I remember when they first were published in Sweden and all the hoopla and excitement about his books. Unfortunately the author died of an apparent heart attack in 2004 and he never got to experience the fame and fortune from his work. Stieg was an investigate journalist and his books has sold very well world wide. The first movie in the series just opened here in the U.S. and of course being a swede I had to go see it. I guess I was biased beforehand because I read the book in English translation and wasn't impressed. I blame some of it on bad translation from the original language. I know from experience that a book in it's original language is usually better. I also felt that the story was not so good and I honestly don't know what all the hoopla is about. What about the movie? Well, it has an elite of Swedish actors, both young and old. Old stand by's like Ingvar Hirdwall, Marika Lagercrantz, Björn Granath, etc. The lead is played by Michael Nyqvist and supporting actress Noomi Rapace. Peter Andersson and Peter Haber, as well as Lena Endre appears. As you can see, if you are swedish you know all these actors. They can't save the movie however. I was also shocked to see how much Sven-Bertil Taube has aged. This shows how long it is since I lived in Sweden, and based on my hiking experience yesterday. I am no spring chicken either.