Saturday, April 24, 2010

Skunked on Abrams

I did a pretty tough hike today, tough for me due to being out of shape from the winter doldrums. I went with a friend from Maryville and we took off from Abrams Creek Ranger Station at about 7 am. We got to the falls area right at 9 am, and began fishing after we rested for a minute. There were heavy hatches of tan and green caddis, gray foxes, and Green Drakes. I even saw a left over Hendrickson. Yellow Sallies are beginning their dance. This should have made for easy fishing right? Well not quite. I only had one strike and I lost the fish. My buddy didn't do much better. We fished under a threat of severe storms and after cooking lunch we decided to walk out of there. It was raining on the way out but the skies cleared up again when we got to the cars. Isn't that the way it always works out?