Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Hemlocks are falling








I decided to head up high for a day trip to fish for Specs. I hiked up towards Buck Fork and fished for about quarter of a mile. The water temp was great at 60 degrees. I just had to take a picture of this majestic Hemlock which had fallen across the stream. I have a feeling we will see a lot more of this in the future due to the invasive adelgid which kills the trees. It's a sad sight and I wonder what it will do to our beloved streams.

I picked up a few rainbows and some specs but the to be honest, I was not feeling safe pushing on solo due to the risk of injuries and the water was pretty swift. I decided to hike back down in order to fish upstream on Ramsay Prong. I began picking up quite a few specs when I encountered the best one so far.


The best spec of the day.


I pushed upstream and after about a mile or so I decide it was time to hike back down. I met a gentleman at one pool who caught some fish on a nymph. He was just out checking the area, and he didn't have the proper gear to do the rock climbing you have to do on these kind of streams. In fact I actually ran in to a couple of other fishermen earlier in the day so a lot of folks were out and about today. It didn't seem to affect the fishing though. I picked up several dozen today. No size mind you but they were pretty fat. It looks like all this rain have brought terrestrials and ants to the stream.




The last fish of the day



I got to my truck and decided to fish for the last thirty minutes before dark at my truck in order to catch a better sized rainbow. I succeeded, although he was only about 8". It was the most beautiful rainbow of the day however. All in all a very nice day indeed.