Sunday, July 19, 2009

Campsite #60, Deep Creek, NC

I decided after a long night thinking about it to go back to campsite #60 in GSMP, to do a one night camping trip. I went about six weeks ago but didn't feel well on that trip.

I left Knoxville around 7 am and got to the trail head at about 9:30 am. I quickly made my way up to the campsite and had my tent and everything set up by 11 am. I decided to hike upstream around Bumgardner bend. Man is that ridge a heart pumper or what!. I was pretty tired by the time I got to the water on the other side somewhere below camp site #59. The water was cold and somewhat swift. Very good conditions for July. The temp in the air was an unbelievable cool, I estimated it to be high sixties. The water temp was 58. I fished for about two hours and only saw three people on the trail. I managed to catch three rainbows and one brown which pushed 9". Not too bad for being in the middle of the day. It was time to go back to camp to fix supper. I was solo at camp until I was done eating at about 5 pm when a dad and his son came. I spoke with them briefly after my evening fishing session. What about the fishing?, well it wasn't easy. I was pretty tired from all the hiking so I only fished for about an hour or so. I spoke with one other fisherman who said he only caught one small rainbow. I managed to catch two bows. One was 8" the other very small. I decide it was time to go back to the tent and sleep. I was in bed by 8 pm. I know I know, I missed probably the best fishing time of the day but I was wore out.

The next morning I got up at abut 6 am and after breakfast it was time to hike out. I drove up to the Oconaluftee to fish a couple of hours around the visitors center. I managed to catch two small rainbows on a nymph. The water was very cold for being at such a low elevation. and for being in July, it was reading 59 on my thermometer. Got home around 2 pm and that was the end for another great camping trip in the park.