Sunday, May 3, 2009

Heaven & Hell

Well, it's here, The new Heaven & Hell album. "The devil you know". For those of you who don't know you're hard rock, Heaven & Hell is the current line up of Black Sabbath with Dio. It's Ronnie James Dio song, Toni Iommi guitar, Vinnie Appice drums and Geezer Butler bass. I.e. Black Sabbath without Ozzy. Toni owns the rights to the name but choose not to tour as Black Sabbath. They decided to use the name Heaven and Hell after the album of the same name from 1980.

Anyway, the new album is more Dio than Sabbath. Dio's singing is superb but the music sounds a little uninspired in my opinion. Bu it is light years ahead of what the so called modern rock tries to do. The greats from the seventies will always have a place in my heart.

I also recently bought Ian Gillan's new album. One eye to Morocco. It is a mish mash of genres from folk to blues. I have to say that I have always had difficulties with Gillan's projects outside of Deep Purple. I guess in my book he shouldn't stray from the Purple fold. Gillan had some decent albums with his own band Ian Gillan Band as well as Gillan. Solo though, he is not that great. It hurts to say that but I feel I can since I'm a whole hearted supporter of anything Purple with Gillan. David Coverdale is a good singer but Gillan is for me "the purple singer".

No fishing due to the weather. Next weekend might be different.