Friday, January 1, 2010

Back from Sweden

I've got back from Sweden last night. This was one of my most horrific experiences when it comes to travel. On my way over there I was stuck in Memphis for six hours, and then seventeen hours in Amsterdam, trying to sleep in the airport. It was snow storms everywhere and complete chaos. I will never put my foot in Schiphol again if I can avoid it. Rude people and nobody cared to help anyone. I finally got to Gothenburg one day late. Picked up my rental car and drove the two hours to my home town Stockaryd. I had a nice visit with my folks, but managed to get offended twice. One day in a store In a small town called Värnamo. The clerk literally yelled at me for trying to use a computer terminal labeled info. As a visitor from the U.S, used to customer service and the customer is always right attitude I was appalled. I spoke my piece and told them that I was a visitor from overseas and lucky for them I was born in Sweden and know how rude and cold they can be. My next bad experience came in my dealings with an official government entity. I had to take care of a simple application process and they managed to constantly use sarcasm and out of place humour with me. I guess they really do hate Americans nowadays. Aside from these incidents everything was great. I just can't understand why the people are so impolite and sour. Don't even get me started on the way they bump in to you, cut in front of you in lines, and general me me attitude. I'm very disappointed in this, especially as a native born Swede. I guess I never thought about this until I moved to the U.S.