Saturday, September 19, 2009

A few old movies revisited

I have been hurting real bad in my arm after my accident two weeks ago. I have been trying to rest my arm and since we are having all this rain I thought it would be a good idea to watch some old movies again. I watched Sergio Leone's "A Fistful of Dollars" as well as "For a Few Dollars More", both are the weaker siblings in the Leone "Spaghetti western trilogy". However, I do not by any means suggest that they are not good. They are just not as good as "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. If you like the genre and if you like some operatic filming you are in for a treat with these. Another movie which I had forgotten how good it is, is "The Ballad of Cable Hogue". Jason Robard's, and Stella Stevens are out of this world in this one. It's a tragic love story with comedy mixed in. If you can stand westerns, with some humor you would love this one. The humor is not on par with Leone's but still, Peckinpah knew his stuff.

As for reading, I am currently rereading Harry Middleton's "On the Spine of Time". I will report on it later. I also just finished a swedish novel by Kjell Eriksson. It's in the Ann Lindell series. This particular one "Den Jord Som Skälver", has not yet been released in the U.S. I never understand how the book labels reason. They publish books out of sequence from foreign authors most of the time. Go figure.

Fishing will be done tomorrow if the rain holds off.