Sunday, June 21, 2009

Hiwassee in the morning, North River in the evening

Did a double header today. I left Knoxville real early and got to the "Stairsteps" at about 7 am. Began to catch fish on top immediately. My EHC size 14 in a tan color seemed to attract a lot of fish when I kind of stripped it in the current. The fish were definitely feasting on drifting caddis. The water temp was ideal at 60 degrees. I quit at 11 am in order to stop for lunch and head up to North River for the afternoon. I lost a nice sized fish on my first cast about half a mile above the main campground. The water on North River was beginning to warm. I took the temp and it came in at 66 degrees. I caught a baker's dozen on Hiwassee and nine on N. River. All were rainbows between 8-10 inches on the HI and 7 inches or so each on N. River. Got home at about 6 pm, wore out but happy after seeing two of my old haunts again.