Monday, February 16, 2009

Calderwood Dam


Got bored yesterday. Couldn't bear sitting at home in the nice sunny weather. Lisa and I had a quiet nice Valentine lunch at the "Crown and the Goose". We both had the wonderful "Fish and Chips". I can highly recommend it. Back to yesterday. It is hard for a fisherman to wait on spring. February will have most devoted fishermen chomping at the bit. I'm no different. I have a coworker who fished the dam area on Calderwood a lot with spin gear. I didn't think it was doable with a fly rod but I decided to walk down there to have a look at the dam anyway. It is a very nice lake and it was downright chilly in the gorge. It is a gruesome walk for about a mile back up the mountain. Lord knows I need the exercise. I stopped at Abrams Creek for a little while around the Ranger Station. Drove through Happy Valley on my way back home to Knoxville. A nice and sunny day but no fishing yet.

Next weekend if the weather doesn't go bad on us will be a hiking weekend. I'm thinking about doing the Ewing trail in VA up to Sand Cave in KY (Cumberland Gap National Historical Park).