Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sangre De Christo Mountains in Southern Colorado, with Rio Grande in the forefront
San Juan Tailwater New Mexico
Rio Grande Gorge, NM
Rio Costilla, NM Valle Vidal Unit of Carson National Forest
Rio Costilla Rio Grande Cutthroat Trout


I got back from New Mexico on Monday night. The travel logistics went well and the weather was perfect. It dipped down in to the twenties in Red River NM, keep in mind though, that the elevation is almost 9000ft there. I actually had some difficulties with the altitude the first day there. My firs half of the trip was spent at Abe's at Navajo Dam. My main goal was to fish San Juan on this trip. I did for two days and some but only caught some small stocker browns. I did loose four larger rainbows in succession on Labor Day. I used 6x and probably should have used 5x. Oh well, the river was beautiful but I have to say South Holston is easier fishing.

I also spent some time on Piedras, and Animas up on the Southern Ute Indian Reservation in Colorado. Both rivers had some tint to them after recent rains. Nymphing was the name of the game, and I caught plenty of stocker bows. No fish of any size. The second part of the trip I spent on Rio Costilla in Valle Vidal in Northern NM. What a gem. I caught several Rio Grande Cutthroat Trout there. Biggest was 12". Another gem of a stream for me was Rio Hondo below Taos Ski Valley. I caught both Rio Grande Cuttthroats, and Browns out of there. This river reminded me a lot of the Smokies streams. The other streams were more shallow with rapid flows. Nymphing was the best method everywhere but I did catch a nice Rio Grande Cutthroat Trout from Rio Hondo on a Yellow Stimulator. New Mexico's food is excellent and the people very friendly. I saw some awesome scenery both in Colorado and New Mexico. The fishing could have been somewhat better but hey!, you can't get everything all the time.