Friday, October 9, 2009

Paint Creek, DH and Lower Greenbriar


16 inch Rainbow Trout from Paint Creek, DH October 9, 2009



A nice Rainbow Trout from lower Greenbriar 12 inches.


Went to Paint Creek DH today. Fished upstream of the campground for an hour or so. I lost a ten inch bow and caught a couple of shiners. I then moved downstream to the DH area. There was a tan caddis hatch and the fish were stacked up in pods in the bigger pools. I lost a feeding fish in the 14 inch range and then I caught a small brown of about 2 inches. After another thirty minutes or so I hooked in to the "brute of the day" It was a nice 16 inch rainbow. He shook his head violently but I was able to beach him fairly quickly. I took the fish on a 14 orange stimulator. I fished for a little longer but the fish began to get spooky. I decided to hit lower Greenbriar on the way home. Got on the stream slightly before 5 pm. I immediately began picking up some wild smaller bows. I was really hoping for some stockers from outside the park. Then it happened, a nice rainbow of about 12 inches hit. It almost looked like a wild fish. I fished for about another hour and managed to catch another 10 inch stocker and then I called it a day. Tired and worn out but a good day for the memory book.