Thursday, March 5, 2009

Long Hiatus

I have been extremely busy at work the last week or so. I also had a bout of illness last Friday and I went to work on Saturday for a few hours to make up some time and tend to a few things that I had to do before a big event was going to take place at my work place.

I haven't fished anything yet but I am planning on it. We are finally in March and the weather seem to be going in the right direction. I will be reporting about my fishing trip next week.

I did some trimming of my evergreens outside my house tonight and it is so nice to be able to work outside again. I haven't read much books lately but I have watched some movies. One in particular was real good. It's an older movie from 1984. It 's directed by Sergio Leone, one of my favorite directors who died way too early in my opinion. Leone died in 1989 at age 60 from an heart attack. He is mostly famous for his directing of Clint Eastwood in the so called "Man of no name trilogy" or the "Dollars Trilogy". He is also very fundamental in the popularization of the so called "Spaghetti Western in the sixties. The western movie was never the same after Leone.

I loved Clint in "For a Fistful of Dollars" as well as in "For a Few Dollars More", but I really loved him in "The Good , The Bad and The Ugly". All cult movies nowadays. But what the hell was the name of the movie from 1984, which I was going to talk about before all this rambling?
Well, the name of the movie is; "Once Upon a Time in America". It is starring Robert De Niro, James Woods et al. It is a gangster movie but also an epic drama. It follows a gang of Jewish gangsters in New York from the early twenties until the sixties. It's not a "Godfather" type of movie where you can say that the characters are likable or even honorable. They are all scum and criminals but that's the point. Leone doesn't sugarcoat anything and he tells it the way it is. If you haven't seen this masterpiece go rent it!

It 's Leone's last movie as a director. It is sometimes considered the last in a trilogy. It's not really part of a trilogy in my opinion but some people considers, Leone's movies, Once Upon a Time in The West, (which by the way, probably is Leone's best western ever) and "Duck You Sucker" also known as "Once Upon a Time The Revolution" part one and two of this trilogy.

Anyway, this became a big Leone push. He deserve it and it's a tragedy that he didn't get to stay with us longer than he did.