Monday, February 9, 2009

Just about died goin up Frozen Head Mountain


Well, three months sitting in front of the computer, eating and not exercising can do anyone in. I'm 42 and felt like 72. I blame it on being sick twice this winter and not exercising. Anyway, after driving up to the trailhead in Frozen Head State Park, I bought a map at the visitors center. I decided on the shortest but supposedly the quickest route to the peak of the mountain and the lockout tower. This trail was 3.3 miles one way and it is rated moderate. That is if you are in shape and that you are not me. I was huffing and puffing worse than the steam engine from the trains 80 years ago when these parts were logged. I came up on a party of three with a nice little Shi-Tzu dog. The dog was as tired as I was at that point. The reason being, it's legs are six inches. LOL.

I got to the top in about two hours. It was worth it. I had a nice view of Petros and Brushy Mountain Prison down below. I could see over to Buffalo Mountain and the windmills TVA put on top of there. I ate my two Little Debbie's, which by the way was the main reason I made it up there. I got down in an hour and a half.

The weather was superb, in the sixties. I was very impressed by the clean state park and the nice visitors center. I will definitely be back.